Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Chicks

I have to say that I am rather impressed with Ideal Hatchery.  I went on their waiting list for cuckoo marans pullets and within a week I had 13 adorable cuckoo marans chicks in my brooder at my house.  It's now been a week and besides the 2 that got squished in transit, all are doing really well.  Ideal refunded my money when I called and told them what happened.  Oh, and they sent 8 sex-link cockerel "packing peanuts" to keep the marans warm.  My original hens came from Ideal via my local feedstore, and I have a horrible time convincing people that my adult hens are not for sale.  I really hope that the cuckoo's lay the gorgeous dark brown eggs that my adult cuckoo hen is laying (every day no less).   I have a 1 yr old rooster who is just absolutely gorgeous and will begin breeding cuckoo marans next year, provided the new pullets lay the nice extremely dark eggs. 

Went to the mall a few days ago cuz I got a tip that the petstore had "weird" chickens.  All they had left was 7 barred rock chicks that were a month old for $3 each!!  I told her I would take all the pullets.  The lady asked me if I knew how to sex them and I taught her how to sex the chicks.  She then asked if I would be willing to take the cockerels for free.  I said sure!!  Now I have 4 barred rock pullets and 2 barred rock hens that are 2 yrs old.  I also will raise the cockerels and keep the best for breeding next year.  I'm so excited!!  I really like my barred rock hens, they are sweet and friendly.

I adopted a gorgeous buff orpington rooster.  He isn't the friendliest thing in the world, but he isn't outright mean either.  He will be paired with two buff hens I will be getting from mom as soon as I get a breeding pen built. 

All in all it's been a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment